Learn to make wholemeal soda bread 25th April 3pm
Learn how to make delicious wholemeal soda bread with flour from the UK's only fully operating tide mill here at The Crown in Woodbridge.
Join head chef Luke as he runs you through everything you need to know when making the perfect bread. The food demo starts at 3pm this Friday 25th April, so arrival at 2:30pm is recommended - you could even squeeze in a cheeky drink at the bar, we won't tell...
Here is Chef's Tide Mill Stoneground Soda Bread recipe which he will run through on the day:
• 170g/6oz self-raising flour
• 170g/6oz tidemill stone ground flour
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 290ml/½ pint buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6.
2. Tip the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl and stir.
3. Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk, mixing quickly with a large fork to form a soft dough. (Depending upon the absorbency of the flour, you may need to add a little milk if the dough seems too stiff but it should not be too wet or sticky.)
4. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly.
5. Form into a round and flatten the dough slightly before placing on a lightly floured baking sheet.
6. Cut a cross on the top and bake for about 30 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.