Steamed Razor Clams with Tomato, Chilli, and Wild Garlic
Head Chef, Luke Bailey, provides his razor clams, tomato and wild garlic recipe!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
• 10 razor clams, washed well under running water to remove any grit
• 2 shallots, peeled, finely chopped
• 110ml/4fl oz white wine
• 4 plum tomatoes deseeded and diced
• 1/2 red chilli sliced
• 200g spaghetti cooked and refreshed under cold water
• 110g/4oz broad beans (podded weight), pods removed, inner membranes removed
• 4 to 6 wild garlic leaves finely sliced
• 1 lemon juiced and zested
• 25g/1oz unsalted butter
NB: For this recipe you will need to use a pan that is large enough to hold all the razor clams at once and has a tight-fitting lid.
1. Heat a pan with a tight-fitting lid over a high heat. When the pan is hot, add the razor clams, shallots, white wine and immediately cover the pan with a lid so that the clams steam.
2. Steam the razor clams for 30 seconds, at which point they should all spring open.
3. Strain the cooking liquid from the steamed razor clams into a clean pan. Set this aside.
4. When the razor clams are cool enough to handle, remove the clam flesh from the shells using your hands (reserve the shells). Discard any razor clams that have not opened fully during cooking.
5. Slice the cooked razor clam meat thinly at an angle, then set aside.
6. Return the reserved cooking liquid to the heat and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer the mixture until the volume of liquid has reduced by half.
7. Blanch the spaghetti in boiling water to reheat, drain the excess water and add the spaghetti to the reduced cooking liquor along with the broad beans, chilli and the tomatoes
8. Add the sliced razor clams, lemon zest, lemon juice and butter to the mixture. Stir well until the butter has melted.
9. To finish stir in the wild garlic and then serve